Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Monitoring my GAME Plan Progress

Monitoring my GAME Plan Progress.

Cennamo, Ross, and Ertmer(2009) when referring to student use of wikis state that “If work needs to get done in the evening or on the weekend, wikis allow them to coordinate their efforts much more efficiently than sending a bunch of emails back and fourth. And they don’t have to know web authoring languages or other complicated tools to do so.” This means that wikis allow for a great deal of communication and participation and are easy to use. This is one of the main reasons I want to establish a classroom wiki for my classroom. This will provide an easy to access and use communication tool for students, parents, community members, and educators.

I found a good deal of information from the Technology Integration for Meaningful Classroom Use textbook as well as tips for using educational wikis. I wanted the classroom wiki to be available to everyone and now need to decide who is allowed to post and or edit the wiki. A new question that I found is that I need to set posting expectations letting the students know how much to post and what not to post on the wiki.

John Ross said, “Technology provides these many opportunities that are going to pull people in.” (Laureate Education, Inc, 2009). Wikis are a relatively new invention and studnets and parents will be more excited to use these tools of communication rather than more traditional methods. I’m meeting with a 7th grade technology teacher who uses wikis in her classroom later this week to discuss her and her student’s experiences with wikis.

My research and practice of wikis in the past week made me very comfortable in creating the wiki for our community learning group project. Where as before last week I wouldn’t have felt comfortable in creating it. I very much look forward into gaining more in-depth knowledge on the use of wikis.

Cennamo, K., Ross, J., & Ertmer, P. (2009). Technology integration for meaningful classroom use: A standards-based approach. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth, Cengage Learning.

Laureate Education, Inc. (Executive Producer). (2009). Assessing Student Learning with Technology. Baltimore: Author.

1 comment:

  1. Zach,
    I am planning on using a wiki with my students as well. I think the points you bring up are very valid. The fact that a wiki allows students open access to all content on the site without having to track which is the most current version (unlike trying to keep up with an email thread) makes it an unbelievable resource we are just beginning to recognize.

    I will be interested to hear how you decide to give access. Please share the information you learn from your wiki-experienced colleague!

    ReplyDelete