Sunday, December 6, 2009

Monitoring my GAME plan part deux.

Monitoring my GAME plan part deux.

I’ve continued to work on my GAME plan of learning and using a classroom wiki to connect community members, parents, and students with each other to create a positive learning environment for students. This past week I met with a 7th grade technology teacher about her use of wikis in the classroom. She has been currently using moodle for her classes and is working on a VoiceThread project. She mostly focuses on moodle and has the students post discussions and homework there. She allows parents access to some of the moodle site. She also uses the wiki for students to show finalized projects that parents and students can view. My meeting with her made me think that I should have some of my wiki such as some classroom discussions only assessable to students. I’ve decided that I want to allow everyone to be able to access the blog but to have limitations for different groups of users. I want the public, which includes parents, community members, and students not in the class to be able to view and comment on a few parts of the wiki. I want to set it up so someone has to approve the comments before they are posted for everyone to see. For classroom students I want them to have more access to the site and have them able to edit and place comments on the wiki instantaneously. I now need to learn more about how to set permissions for a wiki site to be able to accomplish my modified game plan.

2 comments:

  1. What a great resource having someone that is already using some of the tools we are trying to incorporate into our classes. I do wish I had someone to answer some questions but I feel like a pioneer exploroering a new wilderness at our school. No one is even trying to make the leap except me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The great part about designing a wiki is that you have several options on how to set things up and privacy levels. I think that your ideas are great and I agree that the site should be open. At my school, we are required to keep the sites private and parents are giving permission to join the wiki upon request. I have enjoyed reading parent's posts and am amazed how many students contribute information when they are not required to complete any assignments. Just like texting, wikis are great ways for students to collaborate in a non-verbal manner. It's great to hear that you have a co-worker that seems very knowledgeable about this topic. I'm sure they will be able to assist you in any troubleshooting or questions that you may have.

    ReplyDelete